I made this as a filling for a birthday cake for my three-year-old’s birthday. The filling got rave reviews from the grandparents and aunts. At first, I used a recipe that only used the egg yolks. I couldn’t get it to set properly, so I added in the whites to the mixture and I was happy with the results. I have read other recipes that require a double boiler, I didn’t find that necessary to make an acceptable filling for a kid’s birthday cake. However, I may give the double boiler method a try in the future. I have used the double boiler method with success to make custard and flan. I think that using a fresh lemon is very important for this recipe since the lemon flavor is front and center.
- 1 fresh lemon
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- pinch of salt
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan over low heat whisk together lemon juice, eggs, sugar, and salt. Whisk continuously until the mixture is the consistency of mayo, about 15 minutes.
- If there are any lumps, strain the mixture through a fine mesh metal sieve into a medium bowl.
- Cool in the refrigerator and then use as a filling for a cake or cupcakes.
- use as a filling in a cake or cupcakes.