A poached egg is a perfect meal when you are in the house alone and want a luxurious treat for yourself. Poaching an egg takes less than 10 minutes and there aren’t any added fats from oil or butter. I make this for lunch when I am working from home and the kids are at school.
Adding toast and a specialty sauerkraut such as Glow Kraut by Hex Ferments makes this a meal. I am not affiliated with Hex Ferments, I just love their products. Glow Kraut is a special mix of carrots, cabbage, and spices.
This would also be great with sauteed greens such as spinach or sauteed mushrooms and onions. Homemade bread like a hearty white our sourbread would take this to the next level. As you can see, this meal is easy to customize and make your own.
This recipe is for one, but it is simple to increase it for any size crowd. Although I think poached eggs are best for small groups.
- egg (mine are from our farm delivery service
- salt and pepper
These add-ons make a simple poached egg a luxurious meal for one.
- sauerkraut (I used Glow Kraut by Hex Ferments we aren’t affiliated or anything I just love their products and buy them regularly at our farmer’s market and local grocery store. I’m excited to see that they will be selling their products online soon.)
- Sauteed greens
- Sauteed mushrooms and onions
- Sourdough Bread
- Crack an egg into a small bowl.
- Heat 4 cups of water in a small saucepan to a simmer.
- Gently pour the egg into the water. Turn off the heat. Put on the lid of the saucepan and set the timer for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes use a slotted spoon to gently lift the egg out of the water.
- Season with salt and pepper.