This soup has a creamy earthiness without using any cream. It is also really healthy.
This soup goes really well with my chicken with homemade plum sauce.
- 1 lbs dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh herbs from the garden (4 sprigs of thyme, 5 sprigs of oregano, 2 bunches of chives)
- 7 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Small dice onion and mince garlic. Wash fresh herbs. Pickoff leaves of thyme and oregano. Finely chop chives.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large pot and heat to medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add dry peas, water, bay leaves, and herbs. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Blend most of the mixture using a blender, a hand blender, or a food processor.
- Add water to loosen soup if necessary.